Today would be Mike's 33rd birthday. Since both of my children are asleep, and it's only 9:00, I think it's a sign I'm supposed to blog.
I was thinking about how some who read my blog might not have known Mike personally. I want to share a couple of stories that show his personality. I can't remember if I've shared them before, but I'll always remember them.
One night we were having dinner with his team from work in Atlanta. He'd been working with this group of guys for about a year. The group decided to walk about two miles to the restaurant. Mike was currently receiving some kind of treatment, and it was a bit of a struggle to keep up with everyone. Of course he didn't complain, but I thought it was odd that they didn't think to drive the restaurant. About half-way through dinner, I realized that these men had no idea that Mike had cancer, much less that he'd had it for years and was currently receiving treatment. I whispered, "Mike, have you told them about the cancer?" He looked at me like I was crazy and responded, "I don't think so. It's never come up."
I don't know why I was surprised, because that was totally Mike's personality. He hated pity and couldn't imagine anyone feeling sorry for him. {We are actually alike in this area.} He didn't let cancer define him or use it as an excuse for anything; he didn't want that kind of attention.
I'll never forget our first visit to MD Anderson. We were both filling out forms, and one question on the form I was filling out was to rate your stress level on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the highest level of stress. I asked Mike, "What's your stress level, on a scale of 1 to 10?" He replied, "I don't know, two?" Seriously!? I told him that mine was a 10, so we would average it and put six:) I can't say I share his laid back and calm personality, but I'm thankful that my son inherited those traits from his daddy.
We always tried to make decisions as if Mike didn't have cancer and not let cancer rule our lives. That's why I have two children, and I thank God for them every single day. Mike did not believe he was going to die from cancer until the day he died, December 22, 2011; and he was ready to go to Heaven that day. He had more faith than anyone I've ever known.
Tonight, we celebrated Mike. Trent and Trevor blew out his candles, which would have probably been the case if he was still here with us:)
Finally, here is one of my favorite pictures. Trent was about Miller's age now in this picture.





12 comments:
What a sweet blog to remember your husband! I love that ya'll celebrated his birthday today...b/c he is ALIVE and celebrating in heaven!! Thanks for sharing those stories about Mike...he truly had a great attitude about the whole cancer situation and didn't let it stop him from having a wonderful life! I cannot imagine how much you miss him. Praying for you and the kids!
Happy Birthday to Mike!! April you are awesome...thank you for sharing stories about Mike...he sounds pretty awesome too!! :)
love those stories!!!!!! what an INCREDIBLE guy he was!!! I'm so glad y'all got to celebrate his life yesterday! He left an amazing legacy for y'alls precious kids to follow....and of course the Lord knew to give him the most amazing wife to walk thru this with him and continue raising the little ones.
Thanks for sharing April(:
cute photos ;d
I invite you to http://pejzaze-makro-portrety.blogspot.com/
Happy happy birthday to Mike! Thanks for sharing those stories April. So so precious!
what a sweet way to remember his birthday! I think of you often and wish I could see you soon! Your children are precious and such a blessing!
Tears...and hugs. :) What a sweet way to remember the day. Thanks for sharing such sweet stories about Mike. Praying for you always!
Love this April! You and Mike are both such blessings! Love you!
Thank you for sharing the stories of Mike. Though I don't know you, I think about you often and more so now everyday. My husband was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor that is a medically incurable cancer, and I ALWAYS think of Mike and what I knew of him (via internet). We have a 2 year boy and a baby girl on the way in a few months and the stories of you and Mike's courage, faith and love really help me a lot, so thank you for helping someone you do now even know! :)
Happy late birthday to Mike. I wish I'd known him better. So glad you chose to blog about those memories. Hope you are doing ok today.
I love hearing the stories about Mike. He will definitely live on through your kids and through all of the great stories and wonderful memories you've have with him. The Lord brings you to my heart often. I continue to pray for you and your precious babies!
Wonderful post April! I am so glad that you all celebrated his earthly birthday because I know he was celebrating in heaven. And I am so glad for YOU that you have those two angels that are such wonderful pieces of him, to carry on his legacy. He was a blessed man to have such a wonderful wife to walk his cancer journey with him. I can only pray that if I am ever faced with a trial that great that I can show as much grace and strength as you have. Thank you for sharing with all of us. I know you question whether or not to continue blogging, but I for one love hearing about you and the kids as well as your memories of Mike.
Love - Jodi Henry Wells
Post a Comment