1.07.2009

Big Girl


Since I expect Trent to take over the blog soon, I want to dedicate this post to Bailey.

Unfortunately, it's not all good news for our B. Her yearly physical was this afternoon, and we've been a little concerned about her weight. She weighed 84 pounds a couple of months ago, and we know she's supposed to stay under 80 pounds. We bought Science Diet Light and started limiting her "people food."
Well, our big girl weighed in at 88.4 pounds today! The vet. was very nice but said her ideal weight is 75 pounds- hmm... 13 pounds overweight is too much. He asked about treats, and I told him she only gets a treat in the morning when she gets the paper {which I felt good about.} He suggested I start giving her ICE or FROZEN GREEN BEANS instead of Pup-peroni. I personally feel that running out in the cold, rain, heat, etc. and bringing in a paper is worth more than a few frozen green beans, but I told him we'd give it a whirl. He even showed me that B has a "straight" shape instead of a "hour-glass" shape {well, don't we all want an hour-glass shape, but we can't all have one.} Thankfully, all of her blood work and other tests came back great, and she was perfect during her shots. The vet. even said she has a "slow, athletic" heart rate. I told Mike that I'm a little concerned about our parenting skills, since we let our dog get fat.

Anyone have any tips to slim down a dog? We're cutting her food from 5 cups to 4 cups, and we're going to try the green beans. I still think she's beautiful, even at 88.4 pounds.

10 comments:

~k said...

Poor B- but Xena only gets 3 cups a day!!! 1.5 in the am, 1.5 in the afternoon.

John and Brooke said...

This made me laugh! My parents have a chocolate lab that struggles with weight issues too :) But he is spoiled rotten so he could probably lose the weight if he didn't eat like a king. My parents just leave his food bowl out and fill it up whenever it is empty. He eats when he is bored so there is no telling how much he eats in a day. At any rate, he too gets a treat in the morning for going out and getting the paper. My dad calls Bentley (our dog) the welfare dog because whenever they take care of Bentley, he will run behind Jackson while he gets the paper and then run back. Jackson does all the work but Bent always gets a treat too :) Too funny!

Sue said...

We recently had to get our dog to loose a few pounds, too. (though she was 35 lbs and needed to be about 30) Our vet told us to reduce her food at each feeding (from 3/4 c to 2/3 c) and supplement with 1/4c canned pumpkin which is lower in calories, but high in fiber and will help her feel full. You may want to ask your vet about it! She also told us to use GBs as treats. And you AREN'T going to be bad parents! :)

Shealy said...

Wow! Millie is quickly on her way to join Bailey...she is getting lazy on us and packing on the pounds. We do four cups a day (2 in the am, 2 in the pm) and it works pretty well. Hey---the pictures sure are pretty! You've been practicing!

Anonymous said...

EXERCISE, EXERCISE...
That may be the key... Our dog only gets Milk-Bone Bones..
I helps keep her teeth clean too...

The Basquins said...

Yucky, no green beans! I think one treat a day is a good thing, esp with baby Trent coming (unless green beans somehow get Bailey excited). Reducing her food is a good thing, but all sweet pups need a treat now and then. In my mind, anything green (unless you flavor icing or something with food coloring) is not a treat. But you know me and my aversion to healthy foods. . .

The Williams Family said...

April don't knock the ice until you try it. Target LOVES ice! We started giving it to him when he was a puppy and he will do anything for ice! Anytime he hears the icemaker running he starts pacing in front of the freezer!

Kristi said...

Hey there! I had to comment...your sweet dog is precious! We have an overweight dog too...he loves his treats (and people food). But our dog also LOVES ice! He eats tons of ice.
I can't wait to go see "Marley and Me", I know I'll cry like a baby. Good luck with the delivery!!
( I also need to get some of those hilarious ornaments, my husband would love those!!!)

The Powells said...

You guys are going to make great parents and don't feel bad at all! My two 105 and 115 pounds are still at my in-laws down the street. They have been 'keeping' them since August 07 when the twins were born....

Perri Speigner said...

Yes! She is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to hear how she welcomes little Trent!