1.29.2009

The Good, The Bad and The Funny

The Good


Trent is 18 days old, and I understand what all of you parents meant when you said, "You'll never love someone so quickly!" We are crazy about him! Thank goodness we're crazy about him, because he has turned our lives upside down:)
He went for his 2-week weigh-in Monday, and he was up to 8 pounds 10 oz. I loved it! I am nursing exclusively right now, and it made me super nervous not knowing how much he was eating. Apparently our boy is eating well.
He's met so many special people. I forgot to take pictures of many visits {which is surprising, considering I've probably taken 500 pictures in the past 18 days.}

The Bad

We love to sleep, and it appears our child didn't inherit this quality. For those of you that use "Baby Wise," he follows the eat-wake-sleep pattern perfectly... but he follows it 24 hours a day. He wants to stay awake after night feedings, and it makes me crazy. He can go 5-6 hours at night between feedings, but the first 1-2 hours are not spent sleeping.

He hates being swaddled. He likes keeping his hands near his face when he's sleeping. I don't mind not swaddling him, but it goes back to the sleep thing...
We're hoping and praying this is just a phase:)
The Funny

Our water bill is going to be outrageous {and not just because we're doing three times as much laundry.} Maybe it's because I took lots of baths while I was pregnant, but Trent LOVES the sound of the bath water running and the jets in the tub. So, when he is fussy and I need to shower and get dressed, I've been known to put him in the bouncy seat and turn on the water.
We go to Starbucks most mornings. After his morning feeding, the little man is often a little fussy. All it takes is putting him in the car seat and heading to the Starbucks drive-thru to put him right to sleep.

The child poops 8 times a day... and you hear and smell it each time! He also makes some hilarious faces.

Now, the pictures...

Meeting Aunt Connie, Christy and Ansley
Gigi and Aunt Debbie

Cile and Emma Kate
His friend Griffin Gwaltney, who is 3 weeks older than Trent




**I promise I don't put him in the same outfit every day. These last few pictures were all taken today:)

12 comments:

Brandi said...

He is too cute! I always read that babies that were breastfed, their poop didn't smell. That is so NOT true. We smelled every time HC passed gas. It was terrible. Especially when I was feeding her. I would hold her with one hand and my nose with the other.

Anonymous said...

April you are the best mother!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh he is so sweet April...I absolutely can't wait to meet him. Ellen and I want to bring you dinner sometime soon. I miss you and love you all!

bethany@sippinsweetteablog said...

Aw, April! I love it! I'm so happy for y'all!

Anonymous said...

I have to say he is the cutest baby boy I've ever seen..
Welcome to the world of motherhood..

The Williams Family said...

April and Mike,
He is so cute! Noah was and still is a terrible sleeper, so we feel your pain! You should try a sound machine though. We have one that has a water setting that sounds just like the shower running. That might help the water bill a little. We love y'all!
Beth and Greg

The Beckners said...

April he is so cute...and don't lose hope about sleeping. The first weeks are the hardest...just stick with it and he will catch on. Reese always wanted her hands out of the swaddle too...so I just gave in and swaddled her but left her arms free and she was great!

Rachel N. said...

April,
I did Babywise as well. My little girl (7wks now) did the same thing. It took her forever to go to sleep after she ate at night. Some people may think this is mean, but it worked for us...at 4wks. we began to just lay her straight down after I nursed her at night, asleep or awake. She would cry for 3-5minute intervals but by 5 minutes she was asleep. Now she goes to sleep all on her own. It only took a couple of nights! Just a thought. My doc. said it was fine to start at 4 wks.

Laura Mielke said...

Oh my gosh April I agree with the Williams Family. GET that child a noise machine!!! Bed Bath and Beyond has them. I kid you not... my girls would do the new born fuss thing until I thought I would pull my hair out... THE FIRST TIME they heard the waves on the sound machine they stopped mid cry and went to sleep. we have used it ever since.

Mommy and a Ministry said...

April he is so cute! sounds like you've been quite busy! I remembering those first days when I couldn't even take a shower b/c JPW was such a handful. Kuddos to you for showering. ha! I need to come visit soon!

The Basquins said...

1. He is precious and gorgeous, not at all surprising!
2. I second the noise machine thing. . .UPS delivered Jackson's last week, and we love it already!
3. SO impressed you are showering and all that already with him awake. . .I still get scared sometimes b/c inevitably J starts screaming as soon as I'm lathered up. You are a new mommy pro!
4. Love the outfit!!
5. Working in Montgomery on Monday - let me know if y'all are up for a visit.

tmiller said...

Instead of a noise machine, Colt has a lamb that has a noise machine inside. It velcros to the crib. I think it came from storkland but they also had it at picket fence. It has a creepy whale sound but the other sounds are good! :)
Good luck with the sleeping- we've been there!