Warning: If you are a vegetarian, you should probably skip this post.
I tried
deer meat venison for the first time last week, and
I spit out my only bite it didn't go very well. I felt a little guilty, because it was Trent's birthday, and Mike was excited about using venison for the first time. We decided to make tacos. The first bad sign was that I did not like the smell of it when it was cooking.
{Background info: I have a very sensitive nose, and I can not eat things that smell odd/bad. I have never tried tuna fish. I beg Mike to eat it in another room and throw the leftovers away outside. I also don't like preparing meat. I can do it, but raw meat freaks me out a little bit.} The deer meat didn't necessarily stink, but it didn't smell good either. It looked fine, but I waited on Mike to get home to take a look/smell before I put in the seasoning. He insisted it was fine, and he swears he liked the taste. Trent took a few bites, but I think after he saw me spit out my first bite, he was a little skeptical. In my opinion, it tasted like it smelled, and it did not taste anything like regular/beef taco meat. I wish I would have liked it, and I'm willing to try it again
{especially since we have a lot more in the freezer!}. If any of you cook with venison, please pass along recipes and advice. Mike will love you for it!
In other news, Trent has a new bedtime ritual. After we bathe, read, and pray, he now insists that we arrange his animals in their sleep positions.

He puts his arms around them... until it's time to go to sleep.

Then he assumes his position: thumb in mouth, other hand twirling hair.
Don't worry, he's not a sissy. He drives a tractor.
5 comments:
these do not end! kirkley has different sets for bed and nap and they too all have a home! whatever it takes -- just go to sleep! :)
So cute! As for venison, try it in chili...that was my first introduction. I generally still don't like it in more "stand alone" dishes. In chili, it tends to take on all of the other flavors and is less greasy.
meaning...less greasy than ground beef...
All of my kids love to sleep with multiple stuffed animals/loveys. Last year, I actually had to limit the number of "friends" that Libby could take to bed because there wasn't room in her bed for her!
Nothing sissy about your boy!
We did deer tacos too the first and last time I ate deer. Disguisting! And for the hair twirling...John Parker is four and still twirls his hair. I think it's precious and it also serves as a warning sign as to when he is tired! Trent is such a cutie!
Post a Comment