I go back to work tomorrow. I haven't worked since December 21, 2011, the day before Mike met Jesus. For the first time in almost five months, I will go back to the job I enjoy and appreciate; but I will not be home with my babies. I hired a very capable and sweet nanny for Miller, and Trent is enrolled in a great preschool. They will be okay. I will be okay. It will just be different. And I just need to pray and trust Him.
I was kind of having a pity party for myself today and counting my "problems." I'm going back to work and leaving my children. I'm riding with a male counterpart tomorrow, so "pumping" is going to be tough. I am moving Miller to her crib tonight {I know, I probably should have done this earlier, but she sleeps for 8+ hours a night in the nap nanny.} I noticed a bald spot in Trent's hair where he's been twirling {he's been twirling and sucking his thumb for years, but for some reason the spot became super obvious today.} My expensive video monitors don't reach from my room to Miller's room, so I have to deal with that tomorrow. And the kicker... I didn't have my husband to celebrate Mother's Day with me today. I know he would have come up with something hilarious for Trent and Miller to give me. {We didn't go all out for holidays, but Mike was very creative. I have a #1 wife trophy and battery-operated warming socks to prove it!} I miss him so much. But, instead of counting my problems, I'm trying to pray and count my blessings.
This Mother's Day, I'm super thankful for my mom. I have an incredible mother who loves me and goes above and beyond for me and my children on a daily basis. She loves my children as if they were her own. She goes on countless "bear hunts" with Trent, and she discovered the secret of the bathroom fan to get Miller to fall asleep. She never just "comes over." If she's here, she's "being productive," as she likes to describe it. It usually involves laundry, cleaning, cooking, changing diapers, playing with trains, etc. My children are so blessed to have her in their lives, and I pray they will realize it soon. She listens to me complain about crazy things, and she is usually on my side; but if she doesn't agree with me, she's quick to disagree and tell me how she really feels about things. I'm thankful we have that kind of relationship. My sister and I are the same way. Even though she's 3 1/2 years younger, she's taught me a lot about mothering and friendship. She's practical and logical. She cleaned out Miller's room tonight on a whim, and she kept it fun by making fun of me during the process:)
Obviously, I am thankful for the two blessings that made me a mom. I could not have made it through the past four months without them. They make me smile, laugh, and put the IN in my sane {I saw that on Facebook and thought it was hilarious.} Trent and Miller, I thank God daily that He trusted me to be your mama. I love you in ways I never knew that I could love- the deep, think about you all of the time, worry about small things, your smiles makes my worries fade, kind of love. And I know I'll love you like this forever.
As I was in the middle of my pity party tonight, I checked email and clicked on Google Reader. I read about a mother whose cancer has spread, and she's fighting for her life at UAB. I then read about a mother who lost her 17-month old daughter. I don't know these women personally, but I know them through their blogs, and my heart aches for them. I'm going to pray for them, because I know that's what He tells me to do for them, but I sure wish I could do more.
I'm glad our God is bigger than our problems. So, tonight, I'm just going to pray and thank Him for my blessings and pray for all who are hurting this Mother's Day.




14 comments:
Thanks for sharing your heart. Your children are blessed to have you as their Mom.
April, I've commented a few times since your husband died, but you don't know me. I just wanted to tell you that I pray for you every night. You really are super woman and super mom. :) Mary-Margaret
Praying for you sweet friend! Very thankful for your willingness to share and thankful for seeing Christ through you! Prayers...
Stephanie
April, you are so strong and amazing!! I will pray for you as all these new changes happen. I was praying for you yesterday too and when I read this I cried! Your children are so blessed!!
I appreciate you being real. I know the last few months cannot have been easy for you! Continuing to pray for the Lord's strength to guide you and help you make it through going back to work and all the transitions. I think you are doing an amazing job!
Oh April honey...I love you for being YOU and being honest!! I am sending good thoughts and lots of love your way!! You will survive because of those sweet babies!! Handey Oddo
I'm in tears. Please write more like this. It's got to be good for you and it sure is for me. I love reading what you wrote about Mike. I'm so sad for you that he wasn't there to make crafts with your kids for you. Im praying for you as you start back to work. I know that must be so hard. You are an amazing mother. I wish I could know you more in "real" life. Oh how things have changed since college!!
Love you. Looking forward to seeing you soon friend.
April, you don't know me and I don't know you. I don't even know how I came across your blog. Your children are beautiful and lucky to have such a faithful momma. I prayed for Mike and I continue to pray for you and those sweet babies. I admire your strength and you faith and can see that it has to come from God. Thank you for showing me what true faith and trust in God is even if it is through a blog.
Ok..so I have tears streaming down my face as I read your post. What a beautiful, truthful picture of your life and your children! Thanks for sharing I love the picture of you and the kids!
April, you are such an encouragment to all mothers out there. Especially to me! As everyone has said, thank you for being honest. I am still praying for and will continue of course...I'm so thankful (as I know you are) that God continues to give us the grace we need to walk through life daily. We sure can't do it alone. And the great thing is, we can also remember that this is NOT our home. Our home belongs where Mike is--and I wish I longed for that more.
The Lord has blessed you with two gorgeous children inside and out and you are definitely the BEST momma for them. Thinking about you often!
April - You do not know me, but we share a mutual friend. I am just learning of Mike's passing and literally tears are streaming down my face. You are truly a testament to the Lord and He will continue to give you strength and guidance. The Lord has truly blessed you with two beautiful children, and they are lucky to have you as their momma.
April, you are such an inspiration to me!!! I think of you often. Your babies are precious. I love blog stalking you, your posts make me laugh and cry at the same time. Thank you for making me remember to count my blessings.
April, I am just now catching up on blogs after a YEAR. Yes, a year... But as always, I think you are such a strong, amazing woman. I can so relate to you as a working mommy... Especially the pumping with a man in the car part, LOL! I had to get very creative with that with Leighton! I hope all is going well with work and the nanny! I understand the feeling of being torn, but know that you are an amazing mommy!! You are especially showing Miller, that she can be ANYTHING she wants to be! What an amazing example to show them that you can be a wonderful mommy, and contribute to society through your career! That is invaluable to your kids! And I love your memories of Mike, and what a wonderful daddy and husband he was to leave you with such peace and special memories.
Post a Comment